Saturday, June 21, 2014

Healthy Lifestyle Tip #1: Plan Ahead

I have found that one of the major factors to succeeding on a plant-based lifestyle, or any healthy eating lifestyle for that matter, is to plan ahead. When you make last minute food decisions, you usually end up choosing something quick and easy like take-out food or processed ready-meals. However, if you plan your grocery shopping and meals ahead of time, you will set yourself up for success. I typically do my big grocery shopping trip on the weekends and then do a couple small trips during the week to pick up a few things. I also prepare my lunches for Monday through Friday on the weekends so that I already have them ready for the work week. By preparing your meals at home, versus eating out, you can better control the ingredients and nutrients you are consuming. Fast food and restaurant food has a ton of added salt, sugar and oil which, if you consume on a regular basis, can be extremely unhealthy and lead to weight gain and other health issues.

Not only is preparing meals at home more healthy, but it also saves money over time by not eating out as much. On average, people spend approximately $7-$10 when they eat out for lunch and approximately $15-$20 when they eat out for dinner. Therefore, if you just eat out for lunch 3 days a week you are spending about $21-$30. However, I have calculated that I spend about $3 per lunch, which is only $15 for 5 days, a savings of $4-$7 per day. So not only are you saving money on the food you consume but you are investing in better health in the future which will save you money on healthcare as well. It seems like a win-win to me.

I would recommend that if you are just starting out on this lifestyle or are just trying to eat healthier, then you should take the time to plan your grocery shopping and meal planning each week. This will ensure that you stick to eating healthy and not make last-minute unhealthy food decisions for convenience purposes. This may seem like a daunting task at first but once you start getting into the habit of buying and preparing your own food it will become easier, more enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Today was my big grocery shopping day and here is what I picked up.



I also made my lunches for Tuesday-Friday.
Recipe (makes 4 servings)
2 cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 cucumbers, chopped
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes, halved

I add all ingredients to my glass lunch containers and store. The morning before work, I take one container and add about a ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar


No comments:

Post a Comment