Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Husband asked me to Help him Clean Up his Diet...

In general, my husband is a healthy eater and exercises regularly. He avoids most fast foods and sweet snacks, although he does have some weaknesses (i.e. he loves Reese’s peanut butter cups and Reese’s ice cream). We don’t eat out a lot and I prepare most of his dinners which are the standard meat/grain/vegetable plate. Although I am a vegan for health and ethical reasons, and I advocate this lifestyle to everyone, my husband’s not quite there yet on the “no meat” thing so I do not force him to eat 100% vegan like I do. Although he tends to eat fairly healthy relative to the Standard American Diet (SAD), he knows there are areas to improve and he asked me for my help with this. He gave me a list of what he eats on a regular day and asked me to adjust it to make it healthier. As with many guys, his greatest fear in life is going hungry so I made sure to keep the foods filling and satisfying for him, but much healthier than he was previously eating. With just a few tweaks, I was able to come up with a better meal plan for him, below.
The major changes I made were removing the dairy from his diet (multiple reasons why dairy is not meant for humans and it bad for our health which I will discuss in another post) and increased the amount of fruits and vegetables he is consuming. I also cut down his meat portion sizes and replaced them with more vegetables and/or beans. He is still getting adequate protein from the beans, whole grains, nut butters, etc. and plenty of calories and fiber to keep him full and not feeling hungry. I also suggested he try making more smoothies with different fruits, vegetables, hemp seeds, etc. because they will be filling and help him pack in more whole foods. This just shows you that there are many ways you can eat healthier while still eating delicious and filling foods, and without starving yourself. Start taking small steps today and I promise you will see and feel the difference in your body, your energy, and your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment