Friday, May 30, 2014

Benefits of Interval Training

Interval training involves alternating short, high intensity exercises, with slower, recovery exercises in a single workout. Typical interval training alternates short periods of sprinting with periods of slow jogging. You can also incorporate body weight exercises, such as jumping, high knees, and burpees into interval training.
Some Benefits of Interval Training
  • Efficient – takes less time than a typical cardio workout, while achieving the same results
  • Burn more fat and calories in short, high-intensity exercises compared to long, low-intensity exercises - 20 minutes of interval training will burn more calories and fat than 60 minutes of steady state cardio
  • After-burn effect - allows you to keep burning calories throughout the day after your workout
  • Increased fitness and performance over a shorter period of time
  • Reduces injuries associated with endurance sports

I used to be a hard-core cardio addict.  I would run 6 or more miles every day and competed in numerous half marathons and other endurance races. After about two years of running, although I could run like a gazelle I still was not seeing the results I wanted physically. I was also dreadfully bored with my workout routine and lacking motivation. It was then that I started getting more into more strength training and high intensity interval training and noticed a difference immediately. For one, I was excited to get up and work out each morning because there was something new to do every day. In addition, I started to feel stronger and my body became more toned. I hadn’t realized how much by body had adapted to the running to the point where it wasn’t even benefitting me anymore.  I am not saying cardio isn't important; I think endurance sports are a great way to build cardiovascular strength, but they shouldn’t be the only form of exercising you do. I still run regularly, but instead of running at 6 mph for 60 minutes I do 20-30 minutes of alternating sprint/jog intervals and then do some weight lifting or body weight exercises. I have also been doing Shaun T’s Insanity program for about 3 years now and recently started his T25 program. I think these are great interval workouts to incorporate into your weekly exercise routine. Overall, I feel stronger, more energized and more motivated and I feel like I am challenging my body every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment